Thursday, September 24, 2009

3-2

Glorius win for Iron Curtain United! Our intramural team squeaked out a decisive 3-2 win over Best You Ever Had despite adversity!! Basically, the standings looked a little like this...two teams ahead of us had 2-0 and 2-1 records respectively, with our team sitting squarely in third at 1-1. Another team had a record of 1-2 and finally, the team we played today was 0-2.

The way the playoff system is that four of the five teams qualify based on the standings. So, it was a must win. Now we are definitely in with that win, but had we lost we would be sitting at 1-2 along with two other teams =x.

I had a biology exam review at 7:00, but thankfully I had time to play in the first half. The team we were playing were a bunch of scrubs, with the exception of one "good" player. I donned the jersey #10 just like my boi Rooney and the game began. Iron Curtain took an early lead when Pat passed to Jimmy, who took it up the gut and fired a shot at the other teams keeper, who was surprisingly stingy despite his lack of coordination. The shot deflected to yours truly and I buried it for a 1-0 lead. They stormed right back though, when this black athlete totally burned Tima down the line (wasn't a soccer player, just kicked it around her) and scored right in front of the goal. 1-1.

I was a little nervous at this point, because Jim McG, our resident Iron Curtain Member, was sitting on the bench with our defense being "solidified" by two girls, Tima and some other girl who we will just say wasn't Ronaldo level....more like Minotti level.

Our team was locked in their end for much of the remainder of the half, with a dizzying offense between myself, Pat, and Jimmy searching for a hole to attack, while our girls remained unused except to put back in clearances. Despite their lack of soccer skill, they did indeed do a great job of compacting their defense, they literally had 5 people back in front of the goal. Finally, the other team countered up to our third of the field, and this is when we regained the ball. Their good player was caught in the attack and it was just Jimmy and I charging down at this girl. Jimmy played me a through ball that was a great ball, but turned into a 50-50 with the keeper charging out lol. I knew it was going to be a collision, neither of us was going to bitch out on this one. I barely beat him to the spot and slotted it by him, but was knocked off balance when he crashed into me. Thankfully I regained my balance because the turf would have given me major rugburn. 2-1 Iron Curtain.

Much to my dismay (and anger), only about two minutes after this, their good kid brought it down the wing, outran Tima, and passed it to the black kid who was wide open (left open by the other girl) for their second goal. 2-2. Enough of that, I signal Jim McG to come in to make our defense impenetrable, and took out Jimmy for tactical purposes. I put the girl up at forward position where she wouldn't fuck too much else up lol. The ref blows his whistle for halftime.

Damn, I told myself I was going to leave at half...but I can't leave this game. The Iron Curtain's name was at stake, as well as the prospect of playing in the playoffs!!

I decided to have Jimmy count down 5 more minutes until he would sub me out. I had a small time frame to score/create a lead to leave them with. Four uneventful minutes passed. I anxiously looked at the clock. Fortunately for us, the other team had a corner kick. They decided to send everyone but a lone girl back (albeit she was manly) to try to get the go-ahead goal. I knew what to do lol. Jim McG headed it out as far as he could and it came right to me. I turned and sprinted the length of the field at the lone girl. To my immense relief, Pat, my loyal roomate, had sprinted up the field along with me...now I would not have to beat her off of the dribble and I had a passing option. He sprinted by me to my right and I faked a pass to him as he reached the girl, who reacted as I thought she would. She hesitated, putting her weight on her left in case I passed to Pat, and I quickly cut to the left past her. One on One with the Keeper.

Now, I don't know why this guy was so out of position, but for some reason when I looked up he was running to the near post (he got juked out too?). No way could I mess this up, I simply placed it near post and gave us the lead. I promptly left and hoped that the defense would hold.

I should've known, with a name like the Iron Curtain, its a guarentee. 3-2 win!

Bio Exam Tomorrow.


Soccer players will appreciate this post. lolz

No comments:

Post a Comment